Dual Diagnosis: Intellectual Disabilities and Mental Illness
No dates are currently scheduled
REGISTER - PLEASE BILL MY ORGANIZATION
A client with a dual diagnosis of intelectual disabilities and a mental illness often becomes the focus of conflict and frustration in community
settings. When these two distinct diagnoses are applied to one person, it may be difficult to distinguish which models of care are the most effective for these clients.
In this course you will explore:
- An overview of various mental illnesses
- A foundation for exploring the world through the eyes of their clients using imagery and videos
- General information on the mental health system, including the
diagnosis and treatment of mental illness
- Realistic goals for clients with a dual diagnosis
- Healthy ways to set emotional boundaries in order to refresh and empower staff
This introductory course is designed for direct care staff
working in community settings with people who have intelectual
disabilities and a mental illness. This course is also helpful for
social workers, case managers, and job coaches who do not have a
background in mental health.
Course fee is $99.00 per student
Course materials, refreshments and lunch are included in the course fee
Pre-registration is required, register early! Class size is limited
Video/audio taping of courses is prohibited
- Cancellations must be made at least 24 hours before the course. The course fee will be charged if cancellation is made in less than 24 hours. Registration is transferable to another person.
About the instructor
Finck, APRN, CNS, is an expert in psychiatric nursing and president of
HCS. An engaging speaker, Ms. Finck lectures throughout Minnesota on
mental health topics. She adeptly uses humor and presents real-life
anecdotes from her experiences in the field. She provides not only an
understandable theoretical framework, but offers practical approaches as
This course is designed to provide 6.5 contact hours for nurses, 5.4 continuing education hours for social workers, and 6.0 education hours for direct care staff.
If you are interested in having a course presented at your facility, CLICK HERE to contact Karen Lilla.
DISCUS: Tardive Dyskinesia Monitoring 9a-3p